Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What I Learned Today- Time line of postmortem insect activity

BODY IN OPEN AIR - INSECT ACTIVITY

10 minutes- Blowflies arrive and lay thousands of eggs in the eyes, nose, and mouth of the corpse.

12 hours- Fly eggs hatch maggots. They feed on bodily tissues.

24-36 hours- Beetles arrive. They feed of dry skin.

48 hours- Spiders, millipedes, and mites arrive. They feed on bugs already on the body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also learned the history of the word Forensics.

-Comes from the Latin word forensis
-Forensis means "of the forum"
-The forum was where legal proceedings took place in Ancient Rome
-Forensic (adj.) came to mean "connected with or pertaining to courts of law"

cool.

Maybe I will make a post about the "CSI Effect" and what it does to jurors...after I read the book

I thought I might add this for a good laugh

No comments: