Wednesday, June 16, 2010

M.I.A. "I'm A Singer(Haters)" Review

Well this morning I just recently listened to a few of M.I.A.'s new songs on the Neet Recordings blog. One was "Steppin' Up," and the other was "I'm A Singer(Haters)" You can listen to both of the songs at this link here:

http://neetrecordings.com/blog/

When I first heard "Steppin' Up" I was like ok this is cool, but then I scrolled down and saw a more alarming sight. I saw snippets from like a newspaper article, and it said that all these Sri Lankans were being killed, and M.I.A. had bits and peices of an interview saying how nobody did anything about it. I was kinda shocked [even though I already knew that these things went down in Sri Lanka, ever since I became interested in M.I.A.]. So then I go and listen to this song "I'm A Singer(Haters)," and the lyrics are so amazing! The first verse is the one that spoke to me the most. When I heard the beginning, I was like "OMG people have to hear this! It's so true!" I also thought M.I.A. was singing on the song, until I heard that it was a cover of another song[it seemed to slip my memory that M.I.A. takes songs with good beats or a great intro line and makes them into something amazing]. I also thought she was saying "I'm A Sinner," even though the song is called "I'm A Singer." That was just my untrained ear being all confused like listening to her awesome British accent. Anyways, I think that the song is great, and even though it is no exactly for children under the age of 13 [well I wouldn't know where to put the age limit, because minus the language, there are quite some controversial topics that are dealt with, and it all depends on the individuals level of understaing and maturity], it should still be listened to by all who can. Hopefully they can get the message out of it.

And I leave you with some pictures of the wonderful Maya Arulpragasam [M.I.A.]



No comments: